10 comments

• I think I heard it through the grapevine represented two strong singers from the Motown era both female and male. I liked Marvin Gaye a lot because he represented sexuality in this time period. His lyrics, personal appearance and music provided America with a insight on what was actually going on also.

• I chose Mr. Postman because it is sung in harmony usually in a trio, and i enjoyed seeing it being performed in the Motown the Musical. Also the lyrics are catchy and easy to remember and sing along to.

• Heard it through the Grapevine… the lyrics say it all.
    I know that a man ain’t supposed to cry,
    but these tears I can’t hold inside.
    Losin’ you would end my life you see,
    cause you mean that much to me.

• Ain’t no mountain high enough relates to me in so many ways . For one the person who I am falling for is moving to another state and I am determined to do what it takes so I can move with them later on this year . I love this song because it shows that there are people in the world who actually care enough to go beyond complications just to be together . No matter what the obstacles are, you can get around them .

• I think I’m “I Heard It Through The Grapevine” because it talks about being cheated on and I know a lot of people who got cheated on and heard it from somebody else, including myself. I know what he feels like and it makes me feel better that other people know what it feels like so I’m not alone.

• Dancing in the streets, its me because i want to unite everyone and give a chance for folks to meet :) and it reminds me of the way i think of the music. Sweet music.

• I really admire Marvin Gaye and really like the song What’s Going On because it has a very meaningful lines that express the lives of not only African Americans but the lives of ordinary citizens too. The song is about what was happening in the late 60′s early 70′s. During that time people were loosing their jobs so the song has few lines that refer to loss of jobs, union contracts and such, or reference to the Vietnam protests of the day which were always going on. People protested, walking thru the streets carrying protest signs over the war almost daily. Police brutality was an ongoing mess during that time and before laws were put into effect to stop the brutality by law enforcement. The melody sounds happy and energetic but the lyrics of the song is very meaningful, thoughtful and sad that makes people think about the brutality that police and white people had on black people. Protestors were shot by cops and killed. The late 60′s and early 70′s were a very socially unstable time in American history, and Marvin was singing about the times as they were.